Saturday, September 08, 2007

Pommes purees or mashed potatoes?

The subject of endless discussions in my house! I love pommes purees and Richard loves mash. What's the difference you ask? Quite a lot!

For a start, my idea of puree is just that, lumpless, creamy and almost flowing. For this kind of potato one needs either a moulin legumes, which is what my mother always used, or a potato ricer. The latter is my favourite tool - quick, easy and less bulky in the dishwasher. Second, once you get the smoothness right, you will need to enrich it with as much butter and cream (milk if you feel really guilty) so as to make it a shadow of its former self - enough to transform the cocoon that was the potato into its full magnificence (kind of how I feel after a visit to the beauty therapist).

Got it? Well, this is where the point of contention lies. Richard really feels for the cocoon and does not take kindly to a transformation. In other words, he is a purist at heart when it comes to potatoes. He accuses me of adulterating the purity of the potato. My interpretation is that it's more of an enhancement of its natural beauty!!
Mash facon Richard? Cook it, mash it a bit - add a pinch of salt, a knob of butter and maybe a dash of milk. Pepper? Are you mad????!!!!!! Use an ice-cream scoop to dole out portions.
Pommes puree facon Patricia? Cook it, pass through a ricer, over low heat whisk in some warm cream, salt, white pepper, a grating of nutmeg, soft butter until melted. Add more cream or butter until it's almost flowing. Spoon onto a warm plate - make sure you get the consistency right!

I know which I'd rather have.

Unfortunately for me, Richard's version is better for my waistline. C'est la guerre!

Where to get the best pommes purees in my quartier of Paris (who cares about mash?)? Both are rotisseries.
  • Atelier Maitre Albert (part of the Guy Savoy stable) - www.ateliermaitrealbert.com. This is my favourite spot for roast chicken and pommes purees.
  • La Rotisserie d'en Face. www.jacquescagna.com/usardf.htm. Also does a great roast chicken and pommes purees.
I'm sure there are others but I really do need to keep an eye on the waistline.

No comments: